Requests for Board Designated grants are invited on occasion when the Foundation wishes to support a project that falls outside the Synergy Initiative or Activation Fund guidelines but complements the Foundation’s grant portfolio and mission. Unsolicited requests for Board Designated grants are not accepted.
Since 2000, the Foundation has awarded over $2.9 million in Board Designated grants. Following is a list of grant recipients in recent years:
- Entrepreneurship for All (EforAll), Building Capacity to Support Under-Represented Entrepreneurs in Central MA (2022 & 2021)
- Health Law Advocates, Special Initiative to Protect MassHealth Coverage Post-Public Health Emergency (2022)
- One Worcester, Building Capacity to Provide Technical Assistance to Small & Growing Nonprofits (2021)
- Ascentria Care Alliance, Legal Services for Afghan Evacuees and Other Urgent Needs (2021)
- City of Worcester, COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign (2021)
- Worcester Homecoming, Worcester Homecoming event (2019)
- Latino Education Institute, Worcester State Foundation, WIPLE in the Community (2017)
Marilyn E. Plue Director Recognition Awards
Because of Mrs. Marilyn E. Plue’s extraordinary service as the first Director to fulfill the duties of the office of Secretary, the Board of Directors conveys their deep gratitude for her volunteer efforts by naming this award in her honor. As a statement of appreciation for the service of retiring directors, the Foundation awards unrestricted grants of $10,000 to health-related nonprofits serving the Central Massachusetts Region in a fashion complementary to the Foundation’s grantmaking agenda, as designated by the retiring director.
Thirty-five unique organizations have received a Plue Award. Below are some recent recipients.
- Open Sky Community Services (2021)
- UMass Medical School Foundation (2021)
- City to Saddle (2019)
- Abby’s House (2019)
- Heywood Hospital, The Quabbin Retreat (2017)
- GVNA HealthCare (2017)
- Boys & Girls Club Worcester, Plumley Village Clubhouse (2017)
- Facing History and Ourselves (2016)
Community Member Recognition Awards
As a statement of appreciation to retiring community members (i.e., non-Board members) the Foundation awards unrestricted grants of $5,000 to health-related nonprofits serving the Central Massachusetts Region in a fashion complementary to the Foundation’s grantmaking agenda, as designated by the retiring community member.
Thirty-six unique organizations have received a Community Member Award. Below are some recent recipients.
- Dudley Conservation Land Trust (2021)
- Care Central VNA & Hospice (2020)
- Community Legal Aid (2019)
- Boys & Girls Club of Worcester (2019)
- AIDS Project Worcester (2019)
- YWCA of Central Massachusetts (2017)
- Juvenile Advocacy Group, Milford (2016)
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Worcester County (2016)